What is a Pensioner card ?


Eligibility basics

  • you get a payment from Centrelink that has this card as an add on


Payments for students and trainees

Help for students, trainees and Australian Apprentices.

Payments to help you while you study or complete an Australian Apprenticeship

Centrelink give eligible students, trainees and Australian Apprentices financial help with everyday costs of living and some study expenses.

Centrelink intro to student payments video will give you an overview of what offered.

Transcript | Watch on YouTube

Main payments for students

If you’re studying, training or doing an Australian Apprenticeship, you may get 1 of 4 main payments.

Youth Allowance is an income support payment if you’re 16 to 24 and:

  • studying full time
  • an Australian Apprentice, or
  • sick

Austudy is the main income support payment if you’re 25 or older and a full time student or Australian Apprentice.

ABSTUDY is financial help for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and Australian Apprentices.

Assistance for Isolated Children is a group of payments for parents and carers of children who can’t go to a local state school because of geographical isolation, disability or special needs.

Other payments and support for students

You may get extra help if you’re a student, trainee or Australian Apprentice.

Education Entry Payment is a yearly payment you get when you start study and get certain income support from us.

Pensioner Education Supplement is a payment to help with study costs if you get certain income support payments.

Student Start-up Loan is a voluntary loan you can get up to twice a year if you’re an eligible higher education student.

Help if you’re moving to study

Fares Allowance helps with travel costs between your permanent home and place of tertiary study if you get certain payments from us.

Relocation Scholarship is a once a year payment if you get Youth Allowance or ABSTUDY. You must also move to or from a regional or remote area for higher education study.

Help with living costs

You might also get payments or assistance to help with your living costs.

Rent Assistance is an automatic payment if you pay rent and get certain payments from us.

Low Income Health Care Card is a card to get cheaper health care and medicines if you’re on a low income.

Help while studying if you have a disability

Youth Disability Supplement is a payment if you have a physical, intellectual or psychiatric disability and get income support payments.

Find out what you can get

You can find out what payments and services you may be eligible for using the following :

Ask us your questions on social media

If you have general queries you can log in to Centrelink  social media. You can also follow their accounts for regular updates and information.

Find them on:

More help and information for students

You can also get information and help from local organisations. Use Payment and Service Finder to find assistance in your local area.

Information about Australian Apprenticeships and tertiary study

Australian Apprenticeships provides information and resources about Australian apprenticeships and the support available.

My Skills is the national directory of Vocational Education and Training (VET) organisations and courses. It lets you search for and compare courses and providers.

Study Assist provides information for students about Australian Government help for tertiary study, including information about subsidised fees and government loans. The website also has information about VET Student Loans.

Help with mental health issues

If you’re experiencing depression, anxiety or stress, you may find it helpful to talk to somebody about your mental health.

You can talk to a social worker about your situation. You might get a payment from us if you’re experiencing a crisis or need special help.

Headspace is the national youth mental health foundation and helps young people who are going through a tough time.

Reference taken from Centrelink

For more info go to our home page 


Leave Comment